Friday, April 10, 2015

Expecto Patronum! or the time I wandered Kuala Lumpur


After going to the Chinese temple, we crossed the street and headed to the Sri Mahamariamman Temple. Yes, that is spelled correctly.

It's an Hindu temple originally built in 1873 for the private use of K. Thamboosamy Pillay, who is also said to have discovered the Batu Caves, which I visited the following day. It is incredibly intricate and so beautiful.
I mean, really. Look at all the individual characters! It's fantastic!


This was an extremely large plant.

This was in the main prayer hall.






The entire temple was so detailed.













The only way I could fit in the frame with the temple. I actually saw a temple built in a very similar style in Bangkok, which was interesting. They were both really beautiful.
Afterwards, we took the train, which looked very friendly in the day time, to the Petronus Towers near the center of the city.

While on the train, a man warned us about getting stabbed on the subway for our belongings. I was more alarmed by him than I was by any person I saw on the subways.
We looked at the towers from below, not realizing at first that we were just looking at the side of one of the Petronus towers. Whoops.




There's miniature me.



We wandered down the street to this nameless Chinese temple nearby.

The temple had some really beautiful statues.



And slightly uglier statues.






They also had columns of miniature Buddhas that were very cute.
The side of the main statue.

They're so happy!




We then walked back over to the Petronus towers and realized that they were slight more visible from the front. There was a lovely park in the front as well.


I spent much of my time, thinking in my head, "Expecto Patronum!" and casting Patronus' in my head when I heard the name.

The Petronus towers are the tallest twin towers in the world and were the tallest buildings in the world from 1998-2004. No wonder I could barely fit them in the frame. Apparently they are built on soft stone and therefore required the world's deepest foundation. Another random fact: they are in the 1st episode of 24.


While at the park, I saw this woman wearing a shirt I want to buy. It was a checklist that said this:

Single
Engaged
Married to Benedict Cumberbatch in my head.
It was a gorgeous day. Also it was shockingly hot.

The humidity!
I don't handle humidity well. I need my dry-ish Seattle summers.



This is the proper view of the towers.





































Due to the extreme heat, I had forgotten it was nearing Christmas, but the shopping center at the towers didn't forget!
 My attempt to take a selfie with the towers. It was clearly a failure.
Before heading to a Bird Park, we stopped at a Starbucks for a refreshing beverage. They had Tiramisu frappuchinos guys. Delicious. But notice how they spelled my name:

Lohyen.

Well, close enough.

We then headed to a bird park which had a large variety insane looking birds and normal birds. But that will be in the next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment