Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Camel Crickets, otherwise known as 곱등이

I have made a horrific discovery. 
The Camel Cricket.

I had one of these in my classroom a couple weeks ago. Luckily, it hadn't reached this size, but good heavens! My student found it dead under his desk. He said, "Teacher, there's something dead over here." I said, "Oh really, what is it?" But, he had it covered with something. I then turned to answer a question from another student. When I turned back around, previous student had it on a piece of paper, which was now in my face, causing me to jump back and yell, "MY GOODNESS!" As he moved it to the garbage can, approximately half the class screamed. Yuck. Yuck. Yuck. And it was just hanging around, dead, in my classroom.

I have now researched them. They are harmless, live in caves or dark places on every continent and grow to be huge, so people are afraid of them. 

Centipedes, Cockroaches, Camel Crickets. What other horrifying bug will I find in Korea...That will also apparently start with a C.


UPDATE: I looked up bugs that start with C. The only other ones are caterpillars (cute!) and catawba worms, which turn into large moths. So maybe the next will be a giant, normal centipede. Bleck

1 comment: