Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The Royal Palace in Phnom Penh, tiny lizards and more traffic

I finally have some free time now that I have a quick break from classes, so I am utilizing that time to try and catch up on my blogging. I will not be able to catch up.

I left you guys off with my depressing Killing Fields post, but this one is a little bit more upbeat. It's filled with random pictures and pictures from the palace in Phnom Penh.

This contraption was not something I had seen before. It is very nice of them to prevent deaths by falling coconuts.
Here is a lizard.
These are some pictures from one of the many drives around Phnom Penh. You'll notice in previous blogs and in this one that it is an extremely poor country, but also has a lot of beauty.



Once again, traffic in Cambodia is insane.



Notice the monk on the motorcycle.
Todd and I went to the Palace one of the days I was visiting. It is a very beautiful palace! The king lives there some of the days, but I don't believe he was there when we were visiting. It is quite beautiful and intriciate. It's decorated with various Buddhist relics, which include the 5, 6 and 7 headed snakes, which represent good luck.




The day we went to the palace was extremely hot and humid. I wrote in my journal, "It's really, really, really, really hot." It was once again like wearing a "wet blanket" as Todd said.

As I said, the palace is gorgeous. The full name for the palace is, and I am not joking, Preah Barum Reachea Veang Chaktomuk Serei Mongko. It was built in the 1860s and the royal family has lived there since then, except during the time of the Khmer Rouge.







That building is the Throne Hall, which is where the coronations and royal weddings happen.
This tree was extremely beautiful and almost unreal looking!






There is one of the 7 headed snakes.


I believe that building is where the king lives.

Here is another snake looking towards one of the larger buildings on the grounds.
And here are two more snakes. I am very glad I didn't see any live snakes during my time in Cambodia. Todd and Jen had a few in their yard, but not while I was there!




And some more snakes!
A lovely walkway during our wanderings.



An old-ish but very detailed painting!

A pagoda in the distance.
A pagoda that is no longer in the distance.




A pagoda that's even closer.




This was a strange looking plant.




A Buddha statue hiding in the bushes.


















There was a kitten. He was very cute. And a little mangy. But mostly cute.















A statue surrounded by one of those beautiful trees.


This was used to carry royalty. It's extremely small. And wooden. So probably not very comfortable.
This is a Gold-Adorned Patanquin which was used to carry a king during the "Royal procession of ascending the throne."










The museum was filled with beautiful statues and artifacts.







Here I am being photobombed by a man.
Here I am not being photobombed.
An elephant with a disproportionately large foot.






Everything was very ornate! Even in the museum.
















The country has little shrines all over the place, including this one that was just on the side of the road.

Apparently they also have a Bodyguard department.
Here are a couple examples of small children riding the motos.

Here is an entire family riding a moto.



Here was a small  lizard.
It was extremely small. I mean, extremely small. And adorable.

Todd and Josiah being adorable.



No comments:

Post a Comment